"You and I can change the world."
Our students believe - because they are taught this every day at VBS Day School - that each child can make a difference. Our leadership opportunities, beginning as early as kindergarten, give our students the foundation to be confident and think critically about our world and how to make it better.
Students in grades 3-6 have the opportunity to participate in Student Council as officers or grade level representatives. Our Student Council officers and "reps" are responsible for:
- Planning the Rosh Hodesh theme days (like "Dress as your future profession")
- Planning and presenting about school theme and other social-emotional development learnings
- Touring our new students in grades 2-6
- Representing the student body in various events and on important topics
As soon as children begin Kindergarten in the Day School, they are welcomed with a sixth grade buddy. The buddy relationship blossoms throughout the year by joining together on academic projects, reading books, celebrating holidays and creating a special friendship. Third, fourth and fifth graders enjoy being a big buddy to 3, 4 and 5 year-olds in the VBS ECC Preschool program. Their visits and activities build leadership skills, compassion and care for younger children.
6th Grade Leadership Year
Our 6th grade year is an opportunity for our "seniors" to further strengthen their leadership skills. There are so many opportunities for engagement and leadership, such as:
- Kindergarten/6th Grade Buddy Program
- Senior Sermon
- Multi-media Heroes Project
- Student Council and Mentoring Students in Social-Emotional Development
- "Shark Tank" Program
Our 6th grade students are on their way to middle school next year and being the school's leaders give them the confidence and skills to make a smooth transition.